Late last summer, I finally surfaced enough courage to mention to my wife Michele that I was thinking of a cross country bicycle trip in 2012. I wanted her reaction and opinion. Well, I received both with great clarity. At first there was the expected stare of disbelief (with jaw dropped and mouth slightly open) as she silently considered if I was joking or serious or just plain insane! Thankfully she didn't weigh in with a comment on the third of these three options.
I continued to explain that I felt God's call to attempt this as a way to support His lost children. Over the course of the next few weeks, and certainly after much angst and prayerful reflection she finally realized that this Life Ride idea had some merit.
BUT, all support from a caring wife comes with certain conditions: I could attempt the Life Ride if I received 5 clearances: Family Dr, Dermatologist, Cardiologist, God and Michele.
Here are the results:
1) From my family physician after a complete physical and blood workup etc etc. AOK Received Jan 3, 2012. Thank you Dr F !
2) From my dermatologist. I've had a couple of skin spots removed from my cute mug in the past and the Life Ride would required many many days training and riding in the outdoor sun. AOK Received Dec 15, 2011
Thank you Dr S. !
3) From a cardiologist. A complete cardio eval including a stress echo cardiogram (more on that later). AOK Received Jan 16, 2012 Thank you Dr L. !
4) God. Well since this whole idea was His to start with, I guess He granted His clearance last year.
Thank you God!!
5) Michele was now facing insurmountable odds; 3 doctors and our Creator had given a thumbs up. With the usual love I've enjoyed for 35+ years of marriage, Michele also added her blessing. Having her support was an incredible relief and very energizing. Thank you Michele!!
Just a final comment on the echo stress test. This is a procedure that uses a high resolution ultra sound to produce very high quality images of the working heart both before and just after vigorous exercise. As I watched the nurse collecting these images I was amazed to be able to see my heart beating including the two valves and the various chambers.
It dawned on me that it is this same ultrasound machine that is proving such a valuable tool for the Pro-Life cause. At Birth Choice Health Clinics, it has been found that if a woman carrying a child sees the beating heart of her unborn child on the ultra sound, then approximately 3 out of 4 women will choose life for their baby.
Relating the ultrasound image of my beating heart and the ultrasound image of the heartbeat of the unborn was a powerful communication from our Lord. Save My innocent unborn. LifeRide2012!!!
|Example of a Echo Cardiogram of the Adult Heart|
|Ultra Sound of an Unborn Human Child|
(Heartbeat is Clearly Visible at 8 weeks old)